Our property management team specializes in finding the perfect tenants for properties of every size, but what are some of the ways that we find the right renters? Tenant screening questions are critical to the process. When you’re searching for someone who will care for your property, pay rent on time and re-sign their lease, what tenant screening questions should you ask?
7 of the Best Tenant Screening Questions You Should Ask
- What date would you like to move in? If you need a tenant now but they are unavailable to move in until three months away, a great prospective tenant might not be a fit for you right now.
- Do you have any pets? This screening question also gives you information on what type of pets the tenant has and how big they are.
- How long have you been renting or living in your current apartment or house? This is one of the best tenant screening questions, as it can give you an idea of whether or not they are likely to re-sign another lease after a year.
- Why are you moving? The answer to this question might not be too revealing, but it’s a good way to see if they are simply looking for more space, trying to move closer to their job or getting evicted.
- What is your monthly income? Particularly in the wake of COVID-19, this is one of the most important tenant screening questions that you should ask. As a rule of thumb, you should look for a combined monthly income that is three times the rent. This allows your tenants to cover other expenses, pay bills and have extra left over in case surprise expenses pop up.
- Have you ever been evicted? While the screening process should already answer this question for you, it’s good to see if your prospective tenant is willing to volunteer the information and explain what happened instead of trying to hide it.
- Do you have your first month of rent and security deposit ready? This is standard before renting a property, and it should be included in your tenant screening questions.
All County Denver South Property Management Helps Property Owners Like You
All County Denver South Property Management is here to help property owners get the best return on their investment through knowledgeable and trustworthy property management services. From managing tenant relationships to lease enforcement, we look forward to working with you to see how your investment can be a long-term, stress-free asset. For a complimentary quote, call us today at (720) 664-4550.