The tenant screening process is critical to ensure you avoid problem tenants at your rental property. Many things that your tenants need are obvious, like enough income to satisfy monthly rent and utility obligations. However, other warning signs of problem tenants are harder to detect. At All County Denver South Property Management, we work hard to prevent problem tenants at your rental property.
5 Warning Signs of Problem Tenants
- Low Income: First, if tenants are not earning enough to fulfill rent and utility obligations, it is a sign that they are not a good fit. Even if they work hard and are perfect tenants, very tight income means that they are only a single extra expense away from being late on a payment (or skipping it altogether).
- Lengthy Rental and Employment History: Some tenants will have a long rental history due to the nature of their work, like military families. However, any applicant with a long rental and employment list of references might have issues keeping a job or caring for a rental property.
- Negotiating the Deposit: While plenty of good tenants will try to negotiate rent by paying a certain number of months upfront, asking to negotiate the security deposit or pet deposit is a sign that they might not have the money to live in your property.
- Many People at the Viewing: Another sign of problem tenants at your rental property is bringing a lot of people to a viewing. If you are renting a three bedroom house and 12 adults show up to the viewing to live there, you might not want the headache of 12 separate rent checks in varying amounts every month, issuing that many parking passes and dealing with 12 people.
- Don’t Want a Background or Credit Check: People with a criminal history or negative things in their background do not necessarily make problem tenants at your rental property. However, being evasive about what happened and refusing a credit check or background check is a big red flag. You never know what your applicants are hiding, and you don’t want to find out too late!
All County Denver South Property Management Helps Prevent Problem Tenants at Your Rental Property
All County Denver South Property Management is here to help property owners get the best return on their investment through knowledgeable and trustworthy property management services. From managing tenant relationships to lease enforcement, we look forward to working with you to see how your investment can be a long-term, stress-free asset. For a complimentary quote, call us today at (720) 664-4550.