Whenever a tenant moves out of your rental property, there are several tasks that need to be done before the next occupant arrives. Outside of giving the apartment or house a once-over to ensure there is no major damage, what tasks should you ensure that you perform?
5 Things to Do When a Tenant Moves Out
- Finish Your Checklist: Keep a rental inspection checklist handy to see if any damage was done to your unit. Remember that, particularly if the tenant has been in the property for a long time, wear and tear is possible. When you go through the checklist, you should also take time to look for what things must be repaired before the next tenant moves in.
- Check Appliances: Next, make sure that everything works after the tenant moves out. All appliances, plumbing fixtures, electrical outlets and light fixtures should be checked to ensure they are in good working order. If there are repairs or replacements that need to be made, you should contact a professional for an estimate.
- Clean the Unit: Particularly in the wake of COVID-19, tenants are more concerned about sanitation than ever before. Make sure that you have the unit thoroughly cleaned after the tenant moves out. If necessary, hire a professional cleaning service for a deep cleaning.
- Make It Safe: Whenever a tenant moves out, you should replace all keyed locks and reset any numerical keypads. You should also examine all doors and windows to ensure that they open properly and still lock. To be thorough, you should also check all windows and doors outside of the home as well to make sure there is no damage that could make them more vulnerable.
- Deal with Leftover Property: Finally, if the tenant leaves behind property, you need to follow Colorado state guidelines when dealing with their belongings. Depending on the circumstances, you might need to store the property for a set length of time in case they return, notify them in writing or do something else entirely.
All County Denver South Property Management Is Here to Help When Your Tenants Move Out
All County Denver South Property Management is here to help property owners get the best return on their investment through knowledgeable and trustworthy property management services. From managing tenant relationships to lease enforcement, we look forward to working with you to see how your investment can be a long-term, stress-free asset. For a complimentary quote, call us today at (720) 664-4550.